Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Break up to make up?

No, thank you. I was listening to my MP3 player on random song shuffle and Ashanti's "Break up 2 Make up" started playing. I kept reversing parts of the lyrics so I was understanding them.

A friend recently told me I leave doors open, or at least that's what it seems from the few weeks he's been getting to know me. He's right I do but I'm adamant about not revisiting a failed relationship. Parts of me hopes for a friendship, but I'm beginning to understand you can't be friends. I think I walk away from every relationship wanting to salvage a friendship, but I recently realized we were never friends to begin with. I know that sounds very harsh but when there is attraction, the basis of friendship were always with the hopes it progressed further. I'm not a fan of breaking up to make up. I never understood those type of relationships. It doesn't make sense to me to pick up where we left off, knowing where we left off was rather hostile. I have an "off" switch and no one has been able to find the breaker box to turn it back "on", sorry. I can't tell you how many times I sit in amazement when I see couples break up and they're back together 48-72 hours later. I know it's not my business, but sorry your privacy went out the window when Mark conjured up the world of Facebook back in 2004. The news feeds tells me so and I can ignore it, but it's like a bad car wreck; I just can't look away. The break up is very public, very "woe is me", pity party for 1 + friends list, "OMG, my life is over", "Where does my heartbeat now" (yeah, I totally went there with the Celine Dion reference). I'm sympathetic the first time around, but when I notice a pattern you're labeled as just pathetic in my books. I hover over the status to find the X and I remove all future status updates by you from my news feed. Your cry over a car wreck is nothing more than your quarterly fender bender and I've lost interest. I'm so stubborn on no one ever thinking the same about me that I refuse to publicize my relationship for one and another fact when I call it quits and it's a known status, THAT'S IT. I understand couples fight, but I guess I think you should work it out privately rather than go straight to the break up furthermore making it public. This is all just my opinion and you can call me out for being wrong, cold-hearted, or misguided. Seriously, how many of you have seen a couple in a "five year relationship" but they've "broken up" on more than five different occasions? Is it wrong for me to question the longevity of their relationship at that point? I genuinely hope for the best for them, but once again my opinion doesn't matter. This is just from the outside looking in, so I don't understand it. I'm going to go back to minding my own business, but I will say I'm not a fan of publicized break ups to make up.

No comments:

Post a Comment