Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Just because....?

One is loved because one is loved. No reason is needed for loving. - Paulo Coelho

LOL, I would start my post-Valentine's Day entry with a quote like that by Paulo Coelho, wouldn't I? I know I have this problem. Maybe I just want constant reassurance, but when I'm in a relationship I always ask, "why do you love me"? More recently, I would ask, "why am I so special". For some reason, I never accept the answer "just because". I don't find validity in that answer at all. I feel like the next girl that walks by could be the girl you love, "just because". Perhaps, Coelho is right though, maybe there is no reasoning in why someone loves, maybe it is "just because".

Some three years ago I received an email about how Valentine's Day was all thanks to the Gujarati women of India. Of course, considering the source, I love this story and embrace it, not to mention I found it really humorous. The tale goes:
On February 14, the women of Gujarat would ceremoniously beat up their husbands with velans. A velan is the rolling pin used to make rotlis, parathas, etc. Soon the Gujarati men realized that in order to avoid this ordeal they needed to present gifts to their wives. Hence, the tradition began that the day was called "velan-time" day.
I've been told I love with no limits. My friend Kamilah once told me that even if I happen to be with someone sub par, I put them on the highest pedastool. As an Aries, I pretty much refuse to admit I might have possibly chose someone less than exceptional because that's like I'm almost admitting that, Bhagwan forbid, I was WRONG! I never used to be one of those girls that listened to the whole horoscope thing, but after an astrology class and a lot of nights surfing the web, I realized it's not entirely off. I was reading the "Love and Compatibility" article for Aries. After reading the entire article, I found myself thinking about my past relationships. I realized a lot that my impatience did come from a weakness in the character of my significant other. When I say weakness, I'm referring to the inability to be secure with the relationship and/or the fact I can't be molded from a clay cup to clay vase. An Aries is stubborn, there is really no way around that. The article states, "By being more tolerant, Aries subjects can find greater happiness." This might be true, but something significant has to happen to said Aries for him or her to become tolerant. I think my tolerance came from the moment I decided to become selfish for once instead of caring so much about everyone around me. Aries love deeply, but they don't wear their heart on their sleeves. How does an Aries ever really truly love then? When I departed from these cares, I realized loving and caring was a lot easier, but only if it was the right person. Oxymoron of the day: Patient Aries.
 
Today, in the mail I got the sweetest Valentine card from my friend Harita. The card itself was funny but then she, of course, wrote a sweet message to sum up our friendship. Then I stop and remember, I love my friends. You must be wondering how I spent my Valentine's Day (maybe not, I'm going to tell you anyway). Well, 7:00 in the morning I woke up to work out. I'm going to New York the first weekend of March and will be seeing people I have seen in years. Has modesty completely escaped me and I want to look amazing when I see everyone? The answer is yes! Do I hope to bump into people/family members that were discouraging in my past? The answer to that question is also yes. After spending about 2 hours at the gym, I came back home and put in a day's work, after all it was still a Monday. Eventually, I received a phone call from my childhood best friend, Sonal. She asked if I would come to her new house to help her organize her kitchen. I love kitchens and have been dying to see her new house so, of course, I jumped at the opportunity. How could I say no? Why would I want to say no? Sonal has been my friend for close to 20 years now and I can only remember on two or three occasions we've gotten into an argument, lasting no longer than 48 hours. I went over and we washed all the dishes, put them all away, decided on chairs for the breakfast table, and mapped out how couch would look in the living room. What a fun way to spend a Valentine's, right? Yes, actually it was great because it wasn't until her husband walked in, plus McDonald's cookies sans roses and box of chocolate, I even remembered it was Valentine's. The loneliness I was dreading yesterday not once even crossed my mind. I'm reminded once again, I love my friends and I equally appreciate their significant others (my friend-in-laws...lol).

I hope everyone had a great *Velan*time Day. When you are loved its okay to just be loved, no reasoning behind it, it's "just because". I guess in light of that, maybe we should just do something "just because", not because we're trying to escape our annual velan beating...LOL. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment