Sunday, July 1, 2012

Tears are words that need to be written...

“None of us knows what might happen even the next minute, yet still we go forward. Because we trust. Because we have Faith.” Paulo Coelho

In the last month I've cried many tears and many of my family and friends have shed some too. My heart breaks knowing the pain and concern I have caused everyone. I'm ready to tell my story after spending two weeks in the hospital, and still working on my road to recovery at home.

It all started end of May  when I had went to the doctor for what seemed to be a kidney infection. I was given antibiotics but my body completely rejected them because I had some bacteria in my blood. I spent many days sick not even being able to go to work. June 8th, I decided to muzzle up enough energy to go to work but I should have listened to my body a little closer. As 5:30 came around I was ready to leave and struggling with a headache all the way home. Tears ran down my face from the pain and all I wanted was to be in a dark chilled room. I tried the normal remedies for headaches but nothing worked. Tears slowly poured throughout the night in hopes the pain would lift but there was no sign of relief. The pain continued for the rest of the weekend and I made another doctor appointment for Monday. After some time and agony the doctor could no long assist me and called me an ambulance to be admitted into the hospital. All I could think about was the pain and how tired I was from being dehydrated and not being able to hold anything down from the original infection. 

Entering the emergency room at Gwinnett Medical Center they started drawing blood and rolled me to have an ultrasound, CT scans, and MRIs. The news was not something I was prepared to hear. The doctor told me that I had an abscess on my kidney and it's probably where the infection originated from. Later in the evening, a neurologist came into the room to give me the news I was not prepared to hear. He told me that the MRI showed 2cm of bleeding on my right frontal lobe and swelling under the skull. At the age of 27, I had a brain hemorrhage and there wasn't any explanation for it. My heart dropped and I cried with my mother by my side. As I make calls to my brother and father, my heart breaks hearing their reaction. I've only seen my father cry twice in my life and to know I was causing him to breakdown broke my heart. My brother decided to take the first flight down to Atlanta to see me. He took care of me during the day while I was in the hospital and I realize more than ever how lucky I am to have the brother I have. He helped me eat, drink, held my hand every time they came to draw blood, and when the potassium IV was burning my arm he would try to calm me down. My body was going through so much and I spent most of my time in ICU at Gwinnett Medical Center. Everyday I was just waiting for news about improvement but because I had lost so much from being dehydrated and not eating, my body was playing catch up. 

I had many visits from close friends and family that continues to overwhelm my heart with gratitude. So  many friends were ready to give me a lecture on how much I scared everyone. I don't want any of my friends and family to ever go through this much pain ever again so I vow to take the best care of myself I possibly can. I am so happy that I'm much better. I still have some headaches because the bleeding in my brain still needs to absorb which can take a couple more months. I'm just happy to be back on my feet, have my energy back, and eating normal again. I will be returning back to work July 9th and I cannot wait to be productive again. I don't think I would have made it through all this without the support of my family and friends. My parents and brother have been my rocks through this all and I have so much to be grateful for. With all this said, I would like to thank everyone for their prayers and well wishes through this journey.

If anyone has questions please message me personally. I have left out a few details because I'm still having trouble articulating what has happened. I'm just very thankful to be alive. 

7 comments:

  1. I can not imagine how difficult this was for you and your family H. I am just thankful to God that you made it through! You're a resilient girl and you are very loved. Always know that you are very much loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hemina, I just glad you are okay! Stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of your strength, my dear sister. We love you so very much and will be here for you always! Please lean on us and even if you don't, know at least I'll bug you until you let me in! So happy to hear such wonderful news of your recovery and we must definitely make up for lost time and spend more time together :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you, sweet girl, and I am so happy that you're feeling better and recovering. Please let me know if there is anything that we can do for you. We love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Hemina, it's so good to hear you are getting better. We never know when our things in our health can start going wrong, I learnt earlier this year that I have a heart problem. You are absoultely right that when things like this come to light, our thinking changes, in fact it changes the way we view the world. You get better and come n spend some time in Manchester, all the very best, also pls say hi to your Mum from, me x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parul Masi I had no idea what you had went through. I'm so glad you got through. You are one of the strongest women I have met and you have raise 3 lovely daughters. I hope I get to make a trip to see everything again very soon.

      Delete
  6. Glad to hear that you are doing better. I pray for your continued recovery and stand believing that you will fully recover.

    ReplyDelete