Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I'm in no rush!

All my close friends are happily married or engaged. Most girls would have a moment where they would honestly think, "what's wrong with me". Well after some thought, nothing is wrong with me. Yes, I'm flawed, and far from perfect. However, I'm educated, I cook, I clean, I workout, I'm a proud Gujarati, I'm a devote Hindu, I have family values, and I have morals. I'm not saying that something is wrong with every guy I've dated either; the timing just seemed to be off and I'm never in any mood to go revisit my past (I simply don't believe in it). I can honestly say I'm in no rush to get married. If you know me, I've conjured up my perfect wedding, and in my head I want it to be old school. I have an old heart and I want to walk down to a song perhaps circa 1961 but no later than maybe 1996 (even that's pushing it). I want to follow the old traditions to a tee, and I even plan on wearing my mother's old wedding sari. Yes, I've thought of it a lot, but I really don't wish to be married anytime soon.

I guess to clarify what I'm feeling, I should quote some logic from Sex and the City from the episode "I Love a Charade". This particular episode was about the zsa zsa zsu. The zsa zsa zsu is the feeling you get when you meet someone you really like and you get the butterflies in your stomach feeling. At the end, Carrie's voice over says, "some people are settling down, some people are settling, and some people refuse to settle for anything less than butterflies". I gave this advice to my friend Divya about two years ago. Today, I get a text from her asking for my address. Why? Well that's because Divya is engaged to the guy she could never escape, her Mr. Big (I use this reference for obvious reasons). She listened to me and she refused to settle for anything less than the zsa zsa zsu. I told her it never lies and to always trust it. So today I thought, why preach it if I'm not going to listen to myself. I'm in no rush because I refuse to settle. I don't want the fairy tale ending without the fairy tale beginning and middle.

Am I slightly taken back by my friends' engagement/wedding ring? Yes. Do I cringe when my aunt says, "always a bridesmaid, never a bride"? Yes. Do I keep reading the Panic Years for reassurance that my reactions are normal? Absolutely! Does this make me want any of this sooner and faster? No. My friend Deepa (happily married) once said, "who said that marriage is the end all be all to happiness"? She's right. I've cried at every wedding, with the exception of Sonal's because frankly I fell asleep. *Side Note* Before you write me off as the world's worst friend, it was 3 in the morning and we were in India! During all the reception speeches, I also cried, again with the exception of Sonal's because she lived 10 minutes away. What I'm trying to say is, I'm emotional when it comes to my friends. Their happiness is my happiness. Their sadness usually consumes my every thought. I've said it before, I absolutely love my friends and so grateful for every single one of them. Trust me, I want what they have, but aside from their title of "wife", they also have love.

I'll end this post with a couple more quotes by my favorite author, you should know him by now. In Eleven Minutes, Paulo Coelho writes, "I need to love - that's all, I need to love. Life is too short, or too long, for me to allow myself the luxury of living it so badly." So I'll continue to live vicariously through my friends, until I find my own, because seeing them lets me know its worth it all. Marriage isn't the end all be all to happiness, love is happiness. Like Maria in Eleven Minutes, I know in order to find true love, I have to get the mediocre love out of my system, and I will, one day. I'm just in no rush, Maria help me conclude, "if I don't think about love, I will be nothing". So in the last month or so you've read about my moments of self realization and knowing my self worth. Today, you know that even though marriage isn't what I want, love is. Without love, I wouldn't say I'm nothing, but I'm incomplete.

No comments:

Post a Comment