Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Memory of an elephant...

Amongst my friends, I'm often told I have the memory of an elephant. I've also been told I know the most useless information but somehow it comes in handy. When all else fails, I seem to know how to Google all the right answers to every question. I've always had an inquisitive nature, I question everything and try to dissect every answer I come across to derive the ultimate correct one. I'm usually the one that has to come up with the story for a group reception speech. I'm also the one that is texted when someone is thinking of a movie or song but can't remember the title. I have been known to Google "love" and find out why perfume is called eau du toilette. This has its advantage and disadvantage. The disadvantage is the expectations are high, and if I do happen to forget something I never live it down. The advantage of course is everyone believes me even if the memory is slightly distorted.

So why is this the subject of my post today; mainly, because I've really been thinking about the new Bradley Cooper movie, Limitless.*Invitation Alert* Who wants to go with me to go watch the movie, inquire within? The movie is essentially supposed to be about Cooper's character taking a pill, which in turn gives him the ability to use the full potential of his brain, the average human never has access to using.

How do you get your mind so balanced that you use it to its full potential? I take yoga at least twice a week and during meditation/relaxation, my mind still has trouble to come to rest and not think about anything. As the the soft notes are played in the background, I drift off into a memory or make up a magical scenario to make me calm. I always thought the whole point of meditation was to think of nothing, but how is that even remotely possible? They say to concentrate on the way you breathe, or imagine a flame and just concentrate on the way it blows in the wind. Both of these strategies pose as a problem for me. When I start to think about my breathing, I begin to think of my body as a whole and the physiology behind it, which obviously takes a lot of thought. When I think about the flame, the Hindu in me, makes me start thinking about a devo and I begin to recite the Gayatri Mantra in my head. There is clearly nothing wrong with praying as a form of meditation, but why is it so hard for a mind to come to complete rest?

Monday, during yoga's meditation period, I started thinking about the horizon of a beach. Of course, that scenario didn't bring my mind to rest either. I began to think about a book I read my junior year in high school called The Awakening. *Spoiler Alert* At the end of the book, the main character becomes one with the ocean and walks into the horizon as she meets her final awakening. This thought made me start having thoughts of death (the inevitability not suicidal). Once again the Hindu in me becomes more alert, as I start think about some verses in The Bagwhad Gita. I don't like preaching, especially when I'm still in the process of trying to understand my own religion, a twenty-five year old process. However, in the second chapter Krishna explains how we shouldn't mourn death because the soul is simply deposing of the body much like we shed our clothes everyday. I've tried really hard to grasp this thought, but telling someone not to grieve is like telling someone to make their mind rest and become free of thought. Since Monday, it seems to consume more of my thoughts. Two summers ago, I met my Guru Didi Ji and she also tried to explain it to me. I still have a hard time not having some significant people in my life, that I have lost, cross my mind. She actually told me that when I begin to think of these people, to meditate and free my mind of thoughts. As I mentioned earlier, that is already one of my problems.

I love the fact I have a great memory, but it seems to always keep me thinking about something. I can't seem to ever escape my thoughts. Also makes it really hard to let go of things I want to forget; or pretend things are ok, when I keep thinking about what went wrong. That's why I usually try to be easy going about things instead of dwell on things that are out of my control. Its still hard for the impatient Aries to become patient, moreover forget about things. This is all part of the journey to self realization, I suppose. I yield advice from my favorite Atliens, OutKast, when I say, "don't act impatiently, you'll get where you need to be, in due time".

No comments:

Post a Comment