Saturday, March 19, 2011

We pretend to be strong....

...because we are weak. - Paulo Coelho

We all have weak moments. Those moments where you forgo that year and half diet and workout regimen for a day of vegging out to the max with every potato chip known to man kind. That moment where you want to give into your inhibitions and call or text the last guy that "broke your heart". Question is why do we do this to ourselves? We know the next time we step on the scale and see it inch closer to the right rather than the left, we'll kick ourselves for eating the oily, salted, potato wafer goodness. You'll kick yourself even harder if the guy from your past is less miserable than you. However, we all seem to put ourselves in these questionable situations.

Last night, I was guilty of the vegging out and eating every potato chip my pantry had to offer and to my dismay I gained a singular pound this morning. Granted a minor set back and its highly doubtful I won't lose it by the end of the day of detox and eating celery, carrots, hummus, and rice crisps. Am I going to blame myself if I don't fit into my birthday dress by Saturday for one day of weakness? Absolutely. Am I going to be calorie Nazi for the next seven days? Yes ma'am. Am I being really ridiculous? The answer again is yes. Am I able to justify this craziness without sounding completely superficial? Nope. I guess, it is what it is. While I feel like I have greasy skin and my cheeks are puffed out from the outrageous sodium intake, I'm still happy. Of course, I was bothered this morning, but I'm not a bad person.

The second scenario, I've been guilty of in my past. There comes a moment my hand and brain couldn't be further apart from one another. I unlock my phone, scroll to that magical name, and send that infamous, "hey what you doing", text. Once again, something I can't justify without sounding considerably crazy. This person, at one point of my life, was the reason I had a minor breakdown. Yet I seem to have a moment, where I have to wonder what he is doing. His life all of the sudden has somewhat a priority in my mind. Is he ok? What is he doing on a Saturday night at 10:30 p.m.? Why does he cross my mind, when I'm most certain until that inevitable, "message sent" pops up on my phone, he hasn't even considered a thought of me? We're all guilty of it, right? I know we are because I get that random phone call every couple of weeks from a few different handful of friends, "Hemina, I did something stupid". See, we even admit it was stupid, but that doesn't seem to stop us from doing it. Sometimes, we can blame it on the alcohol (thanks Jamie Foxx), but that doesn't change the fact we were just plain weak. My friend Deepa has a quote, "behind every strong girl is a weak one hiding from all the pain". Like Paulo Coelho says, it's actually really easy to pretend to be strong. Maybe that's because your self-dignity seems to suppress your weakness, at least in my opinion.

When is it ok to be weak though?

No comments:

Post a Comment